Online Help & Answers
Search Our Answers
Proof of Ownership - Any Other Country

If you're importing a used vehicle from any other country we have not listed below you must provide evidence that it meets a range of approved standards before it can be registered for use on the road.

There are other standards if you are importing a vehicle from Japan, Australia, Europe and the USA.

Proof of ownership

You need to provide evidence that you're the legal owner of the vehicle.

This can include:

  • the original documents that prove previous registration and provide an ownership trail that goes back to the last registered owner in the country where the vehicle was last registered, and
  • certified English translations of all documents not in English (bills of sale, purchase receipts, etc).
  • For vehicles imported from Hong Kong you can present a vehicle registration card that shows the ownership history and is stamped 'cancelled' or 'deregistered' by the Hong Kong Transport Department.

NZTA Details Here  - Get a free, Instant Quote or Contact Us


Other Popular Questions